Thursday, June 22, 2006

 

Selfish Drivers

Today's my first day off since the 12th and nothing post-worthy has happened in the past few days at work, so I'm going to take a moment to rant a little bit.

I should start by saying that I frequent the forum at TipThePizzaGuy.com which, to all you customers out there, is a site I highly recommend you all visit, even if you regularly tip your driver. The site is very educational and provides wonderful insight as to what it is, exactly, that we do.

Anyway, a couple days ago some "corporate puppet," as many of the posters have taken delight in calling him, began posting in our forum. Mind you, this site is about tipping drivers and the forum is a place for actual drivers to rant and let off some steam. So when this manager-type bigshot comes into the forum telling us that we all need to "see the big picture" and "be a part of the team" and that "it would be better for everyone if there were less selfish people delivering pizzas," we tend to get a little pissed off. He asks us "why bring everyone else down by complaining about [getting stiffed] all the time?"

This man, obviously, has never tried to make a living working for tips. This clown actually believes that when a driver gets back from a delivery and makes a comment about getting stiffed, he's bringing down the rest of the employees and is, of course, bad for business. I'm not even joking. He seems upset about drivers being selfish and disloyal to their stores.

I commented, of course, but I'm still waiting for a response. I figured it should be pretty clear to him by now, but since he still didn't seem to get it I decided to point out to him that the reason we have jobs is because we want money. We're not working for his store; we're simply working for a store. It doesn't matter what store it is. All that matters is that we're getting paid, and since tips make up the majority of the money we make and like it or not, tipping is customary, we feel a bit cheated when a customer stiffs us. It's like having a manager withhold a paycheck. So why is it we don't have a right to be upset about it? It's not like we come back from a delivery and knock over trash cans and throw shit all over the place and curse at the customers. No, we may let out a disappointed sigh and tell a co-worker, "Man, I just got stiffed." Yeah, talk about really lowering the employees' morale.

And this "be a team player" and "see the big picture" junk is just bullshit. I'm not a team player; I'm a me player. I'm out to make money for me, not for the company. The big picture is that we work for money, so when we don't get it we're unhappy. Period. Call me disloyal or whatever. Just shut the fuck up about it and let me vent occasionally.

Comments:
I deliver for Shomino's and my boss used to be a driver so its all gravy with him. He totally understands how much it sucks to get stiffed.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home