Friday, May 25, 2007

 

Some Random Thoughts.

Small children are adorable. I delivered to a house the other night and a little girl came up to me, proclaiming how much she loves "pasketti," then boldly asked, "Did you bring me pasketti?" I did.

Last night a woman, who I imagine just wanted to complain about something, took a bag from me and groaned about how "this doesn't feel like it's very hot anymore."
"That's okay," I told her. "It's your tiramisu."

I will no longer be returning to houses when nobody's home, starting a few nights ago. I got to a house 20 minutes early. I rang, knocked, called, rang, knocked, called, then gave up. I called them a final time, got no answer, and left the following message: "This is D with Napoli's. The time is 6:38 and I'm in front of your house with your food but not receiving an answer. As long as you're already out, your order will be ready for pick-up at the store." And they did pick it up, about 10 minutes later, because they thought it'd be okay to go and do some grocery shopping. The kind of grocery shopping that required more than one person, apparently.

Delivering in the rain is fun, but only when people aren't assholes. Last night there were a bunch of assholes, but fortunately there were also several generous people, including a couple very generous people (an $8 tip and an $18 tip). Despite all the assholes, I left last night with $78 in tips for 17 deliveries.

Management are actually actively discussing giving me a raise, even when I'm not around. I heard from another employee that when she asked for a raise a couple nights ago, as unprofessional as it was, a manager told her "The only person who's getting a raise soon will be D." Said another manager: "Oh, really?" Said first manager: "Yeah, he's been with us a really long time and deserves it." There was a little more back-and-forth, but you get the gist.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cheap Trick, AC/DC, Van Halen, and Alice Cooper are among my favorite bands to listen to while delivering. If I'm not listening to music when I work, I'm listening to talk radio. The only downside is that since I'm constantly in and out of my car, there's a lot of stuff I miss when it comes to talk radio.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home