Thursday, February 15, 2007

 

Valentine's Day

Last night, Valentine's Night, was insane. Fucking insane. Around 5:30, the rush started. Around 8:45, it ended. We were not prepared for Valentine's Day, to say the least. I ended up working with Cory because Mike's daughter, our manager, made our other scheduled driver work at another store. Forgetting about the holiday, I figured that would be alright. It was, except for the fact that we were fucking slammed and he decided to go to a street way out of our delivery area instead of calling the customer first to find out there was another street (the right street) much closer, with the same name, and in our delivery area to boot. Meanwhile, I got stuck taking doubles after triples after triples during that hour he spent driving back and forth across town.

Don't get me wrong, taking a lot of deliveries is a good thing, but when we're slammed and all of the deliveries are late because there are only two drivers taking them (a waiter helped by taking four), I expect to make about the same in tips for six deliveries as I would for two or three on any other night.

Fortunately, I was wrong. Aside from one stiff (the woman's young child had cancer, so I had a hard time being pissed about it), a couple $2 tips, and maybe one $1 tip, I was pulling in $4s and $5s the rest of the night, mixed in with a few $3s. At the end of the night, surprisingly, I had only taken 14 deliveries and made $42.84 in tips for my efforts.

Now that I've explained the situation and given an idea of how hectic things were at the store and how late all our deliveries were, let's take a look at a few things that went wrong last night.


In any case, that was Valentine's Day. A manager described it as the "worst night ever," due to the large amount of customer complaints. It got to the point where waitresses would answer the phones one after the other and hand them over to a manager, saying "Angry customer," "Another angry customer," etc. We survived it, though. Somehow.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home