Monday, July 24, 2006

 

Customer, Please Know Where You Live.

Around 9:15 Sunday night I had to take a delivery to 1240 W. Main Street. Since Main St. is the main street through the town and there are many businesses (but not so many homes) on that street, I decided after climbing in my car to call the customer up and get a little information. This is how our conversation went (the customer will be referred to as "IC," for Idiot Customer):

IC: Hello?
D: Hi, this is D with Napoli's.
IC: Yes, hi.
D: I've got your address as 1240 W. Main St. Is that correct?
IC: Yes it is.
D: Alright; I was just wondering if that's a home or a business.
IC: It's an apartment.
D: Oh, really? What's the name of the complex, then?
IC: Sandy Stone Apartments.
D: Great, so is 1240 the apartment number?
IC: No, that's the address.
D: Oh. Could I have the apartment number then, please?
IC: Sure, it's 1021. What's the price?
D: Your price is $21.25. What did you say the apartment number was again?
IC: 1021. Did you need the gate code, too?
D: There's a gate that requires a code?
IC: Yes.
D: Then yes, I'd appreciate the code.
IC: Alright, it's 1411.
D: Thank you, I'll see you in a bit.
IC: Bye!

Did you happen to catch everything this customer did incorrectly? In case you didn't, I'll point them out to you. Here are the things to let the order taker know if you live in an apartment.
  1. Let them know you live in an apartment. Duh.
  2. Don't just give the address of the complex; give the name as well.
  3. Your apartment number is kind of important.
  4. If the buildings are lettered, let us know what building you're in.
  5. Sometimes apartments are arranged awkwardly. If this is the case, directions help.
  6. If there's a gate that requires a code, we really need to know the code.
Had I not called her, I would not have known any of those rather important things. On top of that, while we were speaking to each other she sounded as though she were eating the phone. People, if you hold the phone one or two inches from your mouth, I can still hear you. I don't have to hear the spit bubbles under your tongue burst every time you open your mouth. Unfortunately, I did lie to the customer once. I told her I'd see her in a bit. Now, when I say "a bit," what I generally mean is "in a few minutes" or, since her apartment complex was out of our delivery area, "in ten minutes." It took me ten minutes to get there (damn traffic lights), but it took me another thirty of navigating through her dark, poorly lit, and poorly arranged apartment complex before I was finally able to even find the correct building. I trudged up to the second floor with her food, pausing once to set her food on the floor of the walkway and tie my shoe. Then she paid, and I realized I just wasted an hour of my life and an entire gallon of gas for a $2 tip.

The message behind this post:
DON'T BE AN IDIOT.

All street names, complex names, and numbers (excluding monetary amounts) have been changed for my protection.

Comments:
If all you can do is complain about your job then why don't you QUIT? Maybe get an education and actually do something with your life.
 
First of all, if all I did on this blog was talk about how much I love and enjoy my job, it wouldn't be interesting to read. All the complaining, though true and entirely called-for, is also for entertainment purposes.

Second, I see you're a help desk analyst. That means that you... what, went to a technical college for a couple years? Unlike you, andy c, I'm majoring in Biology/Life Sciences and I'm working toward my Master's degree. My current job is a means of getting me through college and paying my bills up until the point where I can begin working on my actual career.

If you read up about me at all, you'd know I'm only 20 years old. I don't need some help desk analyst to go giving me career advice.

I do recommend you don't make asinine assumptions in the future, andy c.
 
Oh, you know so little. You assume that because I am a help desk analyst that you know about my education? You are completey wrong. Nice try though.

Now go back to delivering people food!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
"Maybe get an education"
"you know so little"
"You assume that... you know about my education?"

Likewise, you made an assumption about my education based on my job. I may be "completey" wrong, but it's called giving you a taste of your own medicine.

I must commend you, though, for not using the "get a real job" line that we grow ever so bored with. After all, you of all people must understand that regardless of how much you actually do at your job, as long as you're getting paid you can keep telling people you've got a real job. Right?

I would go deliver someone's food, but I'm off the clock. You see, when I'm off the clock, I don't have to keep doing my job. Maybe you don't understand how jobs work, after all.
 
Customers who don't know the very basics of ordering aren't the problem -- order-takers who don't know how to ask the right questions are. I can't tell you how many times I've had correct coworkers who don't take address information down properly.

And, Andy, what would be the point of quitting before D is finished with the education? I don't think D is the type of person who wants to be on unemployment.
 
I agree to a point with you, malnurtured snay. Some order takers are incompetent, yes, but generally a customer will tell us right off the bat whether they live in an apartment. We shouldn't have to ask, after being given an address, if it's a house or an apartment. The apartment number is part of the address, so if the customer does not provide us with one, we're lead to assume it's a house.
 
I have definetly taken this advice since moving to my current condo in a giant complex of high rises...only I don't live in the high rises. I live in one of only 4 condos off the path, over the hill, through the woods, and around the country side. Theres not enough room in the "memo" line in the online ordering area to give good directions, so I usually ask for the driver to call me when they are on their way.

Hope thats not irritating :)
 
I know one thing, mr. andy c., delivering pizza for many i'm sure bang out a lot more cash than you. i'm knocking around $30/hr MINIMUM on weekends, many times hitting $50/hr. maybe i should quit and go back to school and pay 20,000 for my education, so i can earn half what i do now...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home