Sunday, July 09, 2006

 

Hey Asshole!

Early afternoon yesterday, I stopped in at Napoli's to grab something to eat. While I was waiting for my food some big ugly guy with disheveled long hair (Nick Nolte?) walked into the store. He had a black eye and, I imagine, had recently been fighting.

In any case, this big ugly dude waltzed into the store with his skinny ugly friend (who stayed nearer to the door), went to the front counter, and asked for directions to a specific location in the next town over. The guy working the counter pointed over to me (I wasn't in uniform) and said "Ask D, he's one of our drivers."

So I found out exactly where this guy was going, and yes, I knew precisely where it was. I'm a driver, after all, and it's important for me to know the roads and know the area. Well, as soon as I begin to explain to this guy how to get there, he tells me "No, no, no, I'm looking for..." I tell him that's where I'm leading him and he says, "No, I have to travel down..." I told him he doesn't have to travel down that road, and that my directions would be quicker. I explain the route to him again, and he says "Forget it, man," and walks over to a table where people are dining and asks them for directions.

First off, that's rude. Only a total asshole would interrupt someone while they're eating in order to gather information he already has. Likewise, only a total asshole would shrug off the information I gave him (when I do know better) and then expect someone else, who most likely is not a professional driver and who most likely does not know the roads as well as I do, to give him better directions.

The people who were eating were kind enough to give him directions. Lo and behold, the directions were exactly the same as the ones I gave, but with one difference: they called the streets by their FM numbers while I called them by their physical names. And would you believe it? The big ugly asshole thanked the people at the table heartily before he and his friend stomped out of the store.

Comments:
FM stands for "Farmer's Market." Many roads in our area are numbered, but also have names. For example (and this isn't a real road, so far as I know), One road may be labeled both as FM 4521 and High Run Rd.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home